Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Is There Anything Zoloft Can't Do?

Lately I have been pondering the thought of approaching a 'dear friend' (not her real relationship to me) with the notion that she might *just might* benefit from psychoactive (is that what you call them?) medication.
I've considered how I might introduce the idea that medicine might help my friend's extreme irritability and mood swings - before she alienates everyone on the planet, or worse, before her interns at the university devise a way to kill her and dispose of the body. (There is all of that acid in Graphicstudio , after all - for etching engraving plates and stuff. )
But an incident that occurred very recently gave me another tactic in my campaign to shove Zoloft down this person's throat.
Had I not been taking Zoloft and its special friend in the cocktail, seroquel, I would still be screaming at my husband, instead of going to the computer and writing this.
This is what happened:
We're doing spring chores. I'm anxious to start on my special little outdoor space and R has been giving me advice. So today I asked him, regarding my space: "So we have to power clean first, then sand?" and the man went off.
With arms practically waving in the air, I heard all about what he has to do, what he should be doing. what he can't do but really wants to, and how many times does he have to tell me that you POWERWASH first and then sand? And do I want to have a thousand jobs unfinished because we. don't.concentrate??????!!!!!!!!"
So I calmly replied, "I had forgotten I asked you yesterday. Sorry I got your panties in a wad, but thanks for answering my question, and all that extra stuff, too."
I wish I had thought to call him 'Princess' in the bargain. To call him deserving would be an understatement.
My point is, had I not been taking my wonderful drug cocktail I probably would've said this to him instead: "Fuck off, you paternalistic piece of shit! You're not my fucking DAD! Why can't you answer a simple fucking question without going berserk??!!!Jesus Christ!" And we'd still be fighting.
Now I'm typing and he's mowing and all will be fine.
Granted, it's not as immediately satisfying as reeling off a stream off highly deserved profanity, but I think it might be more productive, in the long run, to our happy marriage. I'm very familiar with the term (but not the concept of ) "taking the higher road" , but happy to report that taking the medicine makes taking the higher road easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment